Monday, July 15, 2013

Camp NaNoWriMo July Week 2 Update

So week two was rough. Actually, rough is a bit of an understatement. Trying to get my characters to cooperate was like pulling teeth. Or wrestling a crocodile. Or some other difficult task. They just did not want to help me write their story in the least.

My motivation went out the door. This is partially due to not knowing where to go with my story at that particular moment. On top of that, my work schedule was changing, resulting in less writing time. I tend to write slowly, so this ended up being a problem for me. Motivation is one of the hardest things to get back for me.

So I let it rest. I didn’t write anything. I just thought of it, of the different scenarios my characters could end up in. I find that there is a lack of tension right now. Everything has ended pretty nicely so far. So I really wanted to focus on adding more tension and conflict in the mix. Throughout this, I thought of different animals, plants, etc. to help enhance the world my characters were in.

That seemed to do the trick. I sat down a few days this week and was able to hit my daily word goals, as well as exceed them. This little bit of catch up has helped immensely. Not only did I get motivated again, but I am determined to hit my final goal of 30,000 words by the end of the month. I know I can do it.

My lookout for Week 3 is quite positive. I know where I am going with my story, as well as worked out a sub plot or two that will really enhance the narrative. I believe I am going to catch up and get back to where I want to be by the end of this week.

Any of you out there struggling to keep motivated? How do you usually get yourselves back on track? Are you optimistic for this coming week? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment